Now that the warm weather is here we are spending more time outdoors. Simply by being outdoors we get a boost energy from the fresh air and warm sunshine. However, there are ways we maximize our experience of the great outdoors. Whether you go to the cottage, play outdoor sports, enjoy hiking or running or riding your bike, gardening or going for walks, whatever it may be you can up your outdoor experience with these easy tips.
- Breath deeply. Actually notice what it feels like to breathe in fresh air. Feel your lungs filling up and slowly emptying. Experience your breath as if it’s the first time you’ve ever breathed in fresh air. Try this 5 times or as often as you like.
- Slow Down. Even when we are outside we tend to rush rush rush. Try taking slower steps. Notice what the earth feels like beneath your feet. If possible walk bare foot and notice the sensations.
- Tune into your senses. Appreciate the shapes, the sounds, the smells and even tastes around you. As you walk slowly, breathing deeply, take a few moments to truly appreciate the nature that surrounds you. Feel the warmth of the sunshine on your face. Listen to the sounds all around you. Think of 5 things that you can appreciate about this moment related to what you can hear, see, feel, smell and/or taste.
- Stop moving. Simply be still for a few minutes. Observe the world around you, moving, doing, being. Enjoy.
Maximize the benefits by getting out of the city completely and into the woods. The deeper we can get into nature, the more connected to nature we become.
What are the benefits you might ask? Check it out:
- lower stress levels
- better working memory
- feeling more energized/alive
- lower blood pressure/heart rate
- reduced tension/anxiety
- improved mood
- feel more relaxed
- less likely to ruminate on depressing thoughts
- boost immune system
- may inspire awe and happiness
Looking for a outdoor day retreat? Let me take you on an experiential, mindful day retreat just outside the city. Contact me for more information and to plan your excursion.